Sunday, October 30, 2011

Mortuary Halloween Fun...

Halloween is one of our favorite holidays! We always have fun choosing our costumes and finding new exciting treats! We decided on our costumes late this year (it's been busy!) but we finally decided on costumes that would be really easy because we already had almost all the accessories. I decided on a ballerina and Matt decided on a Trekkie. Fun! I love my legwarmers! They are so fun. They are actually really warm, which is nice since the weather has definitely gotten pretty cold lately.


On Friday night, our ward had a fun Trunk-or-Treat and Chili Cook Off. It was so fun! I am now inspired to try some white chili. I've always been skeptical that white chili could be as good as the red kind, but I've been converted! There was a white chili there that was so so so good. I'll have to look for a good recipe!

On Saturday, we went to a fun party at a mortuary! You read that right! We have some good friends who live in an apartment above a mortuary and we thought it would be the perfect place to celebrate Halloween! We had some great treats: caramel apples, chili cheese dip, and fantastic pumpkin cookies! Matt and I made some spiderweb oreos. We had a lot of fun and now we'll have to bring our considerable chocolate dipping skill home for Christmas too! Who knew that a toothpick could make such adorable spiderwebs? I was really happy with how they turned out. And they are so cute :)


They look a little messy on the wax paper, but they looked great. We played Mafia, which brought us back to our Singles Ward days. I think we played that almost every week back then. It is such a classic group game and all you need are cards! We also watched Hocus Pocus. That movie really makes Halloween for me. I'll definitely make sure my kids see that every year. The child actors are the best and Bette Midler is in fine form. It is such a fun story and it brings back such good memories.

And here is a little update from my birthday! (All the way back on the 11th...) We had a lot of fun! We went to dinner at Red Lobster and went shopping. And Matt went with me...of his own volition! I also received some wonderful presents from family. Matt's parents sent Foyle's War, which if you haven't seen it, is our favorite TV show now. Foyle is a detective in England who is solving mysteries and murders during World War II. I am now determined to get my hands on a WWII-era military uniform for next Halloween. Wouldn't that be the best? My parents also sent some kitchen goodies. My mom made me an apron and sent a springform pan! Hooray! Cheesecake, here I come! She also sent some of our favorite treats from Trader Joes (dried mango and ginger chews). We also received a restaurant gift card from Grandma Eileen. We're so excited to use it! We also received wonderful birthday money from my Granny and the Biggs grandparents. I am saving it all up for something fun! We are so blessed to have such wonderful family! We love you all! Here is a picture of me with some of my birthday gifts:

I also made some fall decorations for our walls! There are pumpkins and leaves all over our apartment. I love this time of year!

No comments:

Post a Comment